Sunday, October 19, 2008

vegetarians

It's funny how defensive people get about food. It is a rather sensitive subject, what other thing do we all have in common, that we need to survive, but that is also intricately connected with our families, heritage, emotion, mood, health, vitality and more?

When I started eating more vegetarian, 10 years ago, I had the idea that it was best for everyone, those other people just didn't know that yet. I don't think that anymore. I do think, that we, as a nation, consume too much meat, of all kinds. But the idea of one diet being perfect for everyone seems very far from the truth. Each of us has a different body, different blood, different cells, and different genetic predispositions. While some of the basic workings are the same for everyone, if you don't pay attention how your body responds to what you consume, you are missing a big piece of the puzzle.

Aside from the general question of health, with so many issues bound up with the question of food (not least of all emotional), my question is, how do we start a dialogue with everyone, with each other, about food and health? I was introduced to someone last week who took one look at me and said "You're so skinny, I hope you aren't a vegetarian!"... Unfortunately, the person who introduced me, mistakenly said that I was. I tried to explain, that I'm not a strict vegetarian, I have added fish and poultry into my diet, that it's not about restriction...but it was too late.

She tells me "Oh I tried that once, but it just doesn't work". Already, I'm unsure what she means, what didn't work? What did she want it to do? Does it mean that everyone who is doing it now is wrong? But she seemed uninterested in dialogue. As she was walking away she tries to get in one last assertion, sure that she won't have to have a conversation to back it up: "You need protein, people need protein" (or maybe she even said "meat").

And so I'm left with the question, how do we start a dialogue? She made me feel attacked, and even insulted, as if I don't know that people need protein? It felt pre-emptive, as though she was afraid I would have taken a hard line, tried to convert her.

All I can do is try to stay open. I think what's more important than restrictions, especially at the beginning of learning about health, is how to add in positive, healthy foods to your normal routine. When you realize that eating fresh green veggies and whole grains might even make you feel better than you normally do, it makes you want to eat them again!

So what are our barriers to eating better? Some of mine are: social situations, energy or time to cook or plan delicious and nutritious food stuffs, expense of buying the good stuff or the better stuff as opposed to the crappy stuff, feeling still hungry after making a yummy nutritious meal which feels discouraging...

I think if we put our heads together we can overcome some of these difficulties. It's worth it when you know you'll be living better and longer and healthier.

6 comments:

Reem said...

wow, that's messed up mori! i'm a fishken, too. people can be so...ignorant and intolerant! but wow, this was a good post/discussion on the topic!

Moirin said...

yes, but we must discuss more! do you ever have that problem of getting hungry right away after you've made a yummy nutritious meal? maybe i'm just leaving something out...

inwatermleonsugar said...

I've been revisiting the veggie cuisine lately. At this point, I've learned that my body goes through phases of either craving or being grossed-out by meat...and right now it just freaks me out.

Time and budget constraints can definitely get in the way of a good diet. It's not that vegetables alone aren't enough, it's just that I feel I have to eat more frequently...but eating smaller meals more often is supposed to be better for your general health and metabolism anyway, yes?

Moirin said...

Yeah, good point about eating more frequently. I think the thing about that is, you have to think about your blood sugar more. I don't think anyone actually puts time into preparing six small "meals" some of those are going to end up being "snacks", so it's tricky to make sure the snack isn't going to shoot your blood sugar up and then drop you. I'm a fan of carrying around the trusty mix of almonds and sesame sticks. Also, I never thought I liked nuts until I tried the raw versions!

Anonymous said...

I like the smoked salted nuts as quick snacks- they're like potato chips, except better for you!

I can't seem to kick the white flour cravings as snacks (raisin bread with butter-mmmm) even though it falls into the category of snack it's still causing a spike in blood sugar. Not so great.

Anonymous said...

Oh-a suggestion for staying full after a nutritous meal:

Moosewood restaurant published a great recipe book from their infamous vegetarian cuisine-I highly recommend their Greek lasagna- it's very filling , indeed.

I try to put aside every Sunday night to make one heavy but healthy meal that will last through the week.