Monday, March 28, 2011

Make and Learn


It's so funny how life works sometimes. I think I am learning a lot about myself, and how sometimes, even though I feel like I'm so slow to act, it's actually the right pace, the right timing. It's a good lesson in forgiving yourself for not being the person you think you're supposed to be right at this moment.

I had this idea to do small, friendly, fun classes at my house for probably six months now, maybe more. I kept thinking about all the little details that hadn't come together, or all of the supplies that I hadn't ordered yet. I also kept thinking (throughout last fall) that I should just send out the email, and the rest would fall into place. There's always that balance between pushing myself to just act, and slowly plotting everything out so that I can truly do something well. Now that I've had the second class--that I'm calling a "Make and Learn", I feel like my slow pace is actually just the right timing.

I have received such enthusiasm and support from the people who have come so far, (and also from those who couldn't come) that I've been energized and excited by it. I never thought that this could become something more than a random gathering, but my mind is definitely shifting in a new direction about it. How amazing would it be if I could turn something I truly enjoy doing, believe in, and want to share, into part of how I make a living? It's kind of a revelation to me.

So, slowly but surely, I have picked a name for the business, I'm having my friend design a label for my products, and I'm getting lots of great ideas and directions I could go and services I could offer. I'm still taking it a bit slow as I am in the middle of transition to some new jobs. And this spring in particular it occurs to me, do we all crave some kind of new direction in the springtime? Winter is coming to an end and the few warm days we've had, the tiny budding plants, everything is pointing to new growth and changing directions. Even that thought, that hope is a refresher.

Yes, here's to more blog posts, more ideas put into action, and lots of fresh growing plants in all of our lives! Next post will be on the homemade deodorant we made at the class this weekend. I've been using it since the fall, and it's the only deodorant I've EVER used that's worked for me :) Now that's saying something! More news of this side-business fun forthcoming as well!

I am so grateful for the support of friends and family in all of these new endeavors. Blessings to all of you.

6 comments:

Caitlin said...

YAY merns! I am so glad things are going well! What is the name?

MMarie said...

I like what you write about working at your own pace. I agree that spring is a significant season for growth, change and new understanding. I suppose every season has it's own significance.

Unknown said...

Cuz, this is truly great! I am so proud of you and I am looking forward to hearing more about your creative endeavors flourishing in this new season!

Reem said...

mori! i'm so happy for you! and so proud, of course! i wish i could take one of your classes; i just know you are stupendously fantastic! i'll try to get the word out for you; is there something you'd like me to lead people towards or just a phone number and this blog???
lovelovelove you,
emmbird

Moirin said...

Thanks guys! Cait, I'm holding off on the name announcement, mainly because I'd like to explain its significance to me, but if you call me I'll tell you! ha!

Em, you're so sweet! You can send them here, I just added an email contact to this blog so that should help. I may start another blog for the product stuff,or go the etsy route (since I don't have a cheap and easy way to make a website at the moment) and I will start a FB page once I have the label and some good photos :)

Adrienne said...

OH Yay!! Sounds just perfect! Congrats! Can't wait for the big name reveal!
I find for me that few things that require acting very quickly or on a deadline are worth it in the end. In the end, acting fast or out of pressure always just ends up with me feeling waves of anxiety and hammering headaches. I'm all about the slow-to-act route in life.