Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Sesame Goodness






This recipe was given to me by a good friend, after she fed me some the last time I visited her in NYC...It's from Brendan Brazier's book "Thrive"...(he's a triathlete, and the book is on vegan nutrition)...It's great, it's sweet, it's crunchy and it is nutrient dense. Sesame seeds have lots of Calcium, Iron and Magnesium in them, just to name a few things. It's also an easy snack to have a few scoops of if you need a little pick me up.

I don't have a food processor, so I just mixed everything up in a bowl and it still tasted pretty good to me. Also I'm not actually sure that the seaweed I used was dulse. It's been awhile since I've seen it, and the Asian store I went to had no idea what I was asking for...but rest assured there is some kind of seaweed in there and it's not nori, or hijiki, or wakame :)

I made a batch and just ate it raw the first time, and then I doubled the batch and tried to cook some the second time. With mixed results. I really like the taste of the slightly toasted sesame seeds, but I had a heck of a time getting it off of the foil, as you can see. Any cooks out there know if it would work better if I used parchment paper? Actually I bought a cookie tray since then, so that might help.

Here's the recipe:
Lemon Crisps (Brendan Brazier, Thrive)
2/3 cup sesame seeds
1/3 cup agave nectar
1/4 cup lemon zest (yes go for organic)
2 Tablespoons dulse flakes
2 Tablespoons coconut oil
2Tablespoons fresh lemon juice

Mix it all together in a food processor (or just stir it :))

If you'd like to cook it, you can spread it out on a lightly greased (with coconut oil) tray, and cook 20 min. at 300 degrees F.

Yummy both ways.

On a personal note, I've been reading about herbal recipes for hormone balance, and one of the books recommended mixing your own herbal infusions to make a high calcium tea. That, combined with this recipe and one other sesame/high calcium recipe really seemed to make a difference in my hormone balance/imbalance symptoms, which is pretty exciting. I'll post the two others soon. A big part of what I love about healing with food/ herbs is that there are so many plant nutrients in each ingredient or herb. You actually nourish your body in a whole way...I'm sure it's not JUST the calcium in any of this that helped, but the calcium PLUS each and every nutrient working together. Again comes that feeling of everything being connected, keeping you aliving and thriving.


1 comment:

pelz said...

beautiful snack! and yes, parchment paper is so much easier to work with than foil. stays put much better.